Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Authentic Tweed

Arranmore from the Fibre Co arrived this morning. The box with Arranmore Light has been caught in customs for the past two weeks. It looks like we should see it by the end of the week.

Machnamh (pattern purchased on Ravelry) is knit in Arranmore.
Machnamh (pronounced Macnah) is the Irish word for reflection, which seemed an appropriate name for this sleeveless waistcoat/vest since it is worked in stocking stitch on one section and reverse stocking stitch on the other – one reflecting the other.
One size fits most with a relaxed fit on smaller sizes and more close fitting when fastened on larger sizes. For more overlap or a more relaxed fit simply cast on 4 extra stitches at beginning and end of the cast on row to give 2 inches extra front wrap ensuring armholes remain centered. 

Inspired by the breathtaking scenery of Ireland's Northern Headlands, Arranmore is spun in a mill that traces its roots to the tweed industry of 19th century County Donegal. Blending cashmere and silk with fine merino wool created an authentic tweed yarn of the finest quality. With a color palette reminiscent of the wild Irish coastlands, this aran weight yarn was designed for makers appreciating the best of luxury and tradition.
• 80% merino wool, 10% silk, 10% cashmere• 175 yds / 100 gram skein• 14-17 sts = 4" (10 cm) on US 8-10 needles 
I brought home some yarn for Speckle and Pop! For the most part I left out the Speckle. I have knit quite a few of Stephen West's MKALs. Customers comment the most on my building blocks which is grey, brown and denim. I wanted to show some combinations that aren't as flashy. (And then I add neon :))
There are so many options for the shawl.  Grey can be matched with anything.


This is the combination that I've been dreaming about. Shades of grey with a pop. I added in a kit from SweetGeorgia that is called JellyBean. You can do shades of purple or green or blue. There are so many options with grey. You could also use tosh unicorn tails - I totally forgot about bringing some of them home.
Now it's time to relax. I had a really big dog standing over me in bed this morning. Really early this morning. 6am. My dad is looking after a job in Peterborough and goes at least one day a week. He leaves Ancaster around 5am so Lucy stays over the night before and Beth takes her to day care.

I just received an email from Brandy at Long Dog Yarn. Remember those pretty pictures I showed a few days ago? (copyright credit to Brandy Velten on all the pictures of Long Dog Yarn) Our shipment will be arriving next Thursday. It will be late in the afternoon so I won't be unpacking the box. It will be put into the van for the Knitters' Fair. Sorry to those who can't make it to the show. If anything comes home I will be putting it on the website. I will also be doing another order after the show.

Now I'm going to knit :)

No comments: