Thursday, November 05, 2015

Getting ready for winter

Classic Elite had the cutest mittens in their Web-Letter last week.
From the designer, Rachel Henry:

Last spring, a friend of mine brought me some knitwear in distress. I was a little afraid Val would ask me to mend her beloved, but very felted and holey, sheep mittens. Thankfully, she had a more intriguing request...could I design something similar? Val bought the original pair as a souvenir from a trip overseas, and had literally worn them to pieces. She was already missing them, and hoped I would be able to make her new mittens that would be loved just as much.

I took some reference shots, noting that the lack of thumb gusset probably led directly to the holes in the palm. I would definitely add thumb gussets to my design! I asked her what she loved about them...in order: sheep on the backs, fully lined, and stripes. This I could do!

After much hemming and hawing I selected CEY Fresco for its softness, warm, and an array of gorgeous colors. I elected to copy (mostly) the original mittens, but added a fourth color of yarn, rather than risk running out of any given color. (Hint hint: I would love to see a pair of technicolor sheep mittens!)

My design has four sizes, thumb gussets, and slightly longer cuffs, but I think they capture everything Val loved about the originals. They are adorable, soft, and cozy – all a mitten should be.

The mittens are black, grey and cream. The lining is a light grey but you could use a funky colour.
Fresco is a smooth and even 3-ply sport weight yarn. The plies are twisted together tightly enough to make a firm, springy yarn, but not so tightly that the yarn loses its lofty, soft hand. The fiber blend—wool (for warmth and strength), alpaca (for loft and sheen), and a bit of angora (to provide a soft halo)—makes a yarn that’s warm, soft, and slightly fuzzy.
Fresco is available in an expansive palette, which makes it great for colorwork projects. However, because of the ply, the yarn is also great for textured stitches and lace.
Cathy brought in the cutest little girl's cardigan that she knit.
I took the pictures late in the day when the sun was going down and the wind was blowing. They don't do the cardigan justice - take a look at it when you come in the store.

Pattern: Entrechat (purchased on Ravelry)
Yarn: One skein of Mrs. Crosby Steamer Trunk
Adorable seamless shrug that knits up in no time and uses very little yarn… Features a fun and easy textured pattern.
Both the heartwarmer style and the textured stitch made me think of the “entrechat,” a ballet jump where the legs cross each other mid-air in a flutter.
This shrug is knit seamlessly from the top down to the armpits. The raglan cap sleeves are then bound off and the back stitches are worked together with stitches picked up along each front raglans to form the body in one piece.
I had a visit this morning with one of my sales reps and there are some awesome kits coming in the next few weeks.
Super cute scarf kits. The bear is knit for you. All you need to do is whip up the scarf and sew on his head, feet and arms.
I thought that the dog and cat kits we have in the store are cute but these are incredible! I want a little kid who can wear one :)

Beth and I ran out after work to buy two chairs for our dining table. We wanted funkier chairs for either end of the table. We ended up ordering chairs that are from the same company as our bar stools. They will have metal legs and fabric seats. That was the good part of my story. Another good part is that the first clue is available for The Doodler. The really sad part happens now. I forgot to bring my yarn home. It is sitting on the counter in the store. It hasn't been rolled into balls yet - that was my job tonight. I guess I'll be starting tomorrow when I get to work. It will motivate me to get to work early :)

No comments: