Thursday, June 06, 2013

Ardys

I've been holding out. Lynda didn't knit one vest for the store. She knit two.

Pattern: Ardys (purchased on Ravelry)
Yarn: Haymarket from Lorna's Laces

You can also use tosh chunky for the vest.

This pattern uses short rows and the three-needle bind off for the shoulders. You will need to know how to pick up wraps for short rows, how to pick up stitches, and how to do a cable cross.

I would have taken my friend outside but it is really cold here today. I have on a wool sweater. What happened to summer?

A fitted vest that hangs open a bit with a pretty slipped-stitch cable detail down the fronts. This works up quickly in Aran weight yarn. Knit in one piece from the bottom up with armbands and collar picked up. Designed to be worn with an inch or so of positive ease for best fit. The cable is a modified version of a slipped double cable from Barbara Walker’s book - A Treasury of Knitting Patterns.
I just checked the Myrtle Beach weather. It's not looking good for tomorrow.
The National Hurricane Center issued a tropical storm warning for the Carolina coast and a flood watch also is in effect until 5 p.m. Friday, according to updates issued Thursday morning.

Read more here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2013/06/05/3522531/soggy-weather-headed-to-myrtle.html#storylink=cpy
It looks like there won't be much golfing while we are away. Lots of knitting time. I will be taking the sleeves to my Summerspun cardigan. If both of them get finished then I'm in good shape.

I won't be taking the front. If I take that then I need to take the other front (and probably the back) to make sure that I am correct on what row I start the shapings on. Yes, it is all written down but I like to check and double check before I start. There has been a sweater in my past (still unfinished in the cedar chest in my parents basement) where I knit the front and back totally different lengths. Lesson learned. The hard way.

If I get the sleeves finished there is something in the closet. My Christel Seyfarth Beach Rose kit is waiting for me.

With the talk of Fair Isle knitting in our last newsletter I have the need to do some myself.

I left knitting there so when I'm flying with just a carry on bag I don't have to use up some of that room with a large knitting project. I can take a scarf for the plane.

Like most knitters there is the fear that you are going to knit lots while away and need to make sure you have enough yarn to keep you occupied for the whole trip. I read on knitter's blogs, twitter feeds and facebook that they have 4 or 5 projects packed for a trip. Just in case. Personally, this has never happened. Normally I'm too busy doing other things and not a lot of knitting is accomplished. But just in case. :)

Now I need to finish getting the store in order. I think it's ready but just want to make sure. I will have my laptop and iPad with me so as long as we have power I will be blogging.

Heritage Days is this weekend in Ancaster. The parade is Saturday June 8. It's a good thing if you have kids and like parades but not good if you want to come shopping.

Wilson Street is closed from 9-11am. The store will open at 10am but you won't be able to get to the parking lot until after 11am.

Sorry for the inconvenience but it's beyond our control.



No comments: